Answers to Common Scale Questions
Do I need a counting scale? What are its benefits?
How do I choose the right Counting Scale for my application?
Counting parts is always a trade-off between the sensitivity of the scale and its capacity. Think of what you intend on counting. Which part has the lightest weight? For best accuracy the rule of thumb is that the graduation of the scale should be as small as or smaller than the lightest part. What is the largest weight you will be counting? Between the maximum capacity, the smallest graduation, and the results of your cost comparison, you should be able to determine what kind of counting scale you require. For further assistance please contact us.
When do I have to calibrate a scale?
Calibration should be performed after the warm up period whenever you first set up your scale or change the location of your scale. A sensitivity test should be done at regular intervals to determine if your scale is out of tolerance. If out of tolerance a re-calibration is required. As a rule of thumb your scale should be calibrated at least once a year.
How can I make my scale last longer?
- The cleaner the environment, the better. Dust, dirt, moisture, vibration, air currents and proximity to other electronic equipment can all have an adverse effect on the reliability and accuracy of your scale.
- DO NOT operate a wireless phone within 10 feet of an in-use scale. It will cause a temporary malfunction
- Handle with care.
- Gently place all items to be weighed onto the tray. Although scales are very durable, it is important that you avoid rough treatment or overweighing as this may permanently damage the internal sensor
- Always allow the unit to acclimatize to normal room temperature before use
- Allow sufficient warm up time. A 30 second wait time before usage should give the scale components a chance to stabilize
- Avoid exposure to extreme heat or cold. Scales work best when operated within specifications
- Items to be measured should be at room temperature prior to weighing
- A hot item will give an inaccurate reading (less than the actual weight) due to convection currents that make the item more buoyant
- If your balance or scale is enclosed, warm air in the case weighs less than air of the same volume at room temperature
What is the best location for your scale?
If possible, the balance or scale should be set up in an area that is not exposed to drafts, direct sunlight or extreme temperatures. They should always be stored in a cool, dry place. Ideally the unit should also be placed on a sturdy table, bench, console or on a flat floor surface.
Who should perform maintenance and repair work?
Balances and scales are very accurate weighing instruments and require trained specialists with the most advanced equipment to perform maintenance and any repair work. If you are an end user please call your distributor for service or contact us for the distributor nearest you.
Is my old scale or balance worth fixing?
What is the warranty on scales?
Products are warranted to be free from defects in material and workmanship under normal use and service for a period of 1 year unless stated otherwise. Kilotech's liability under this warranty shall be limited solely to repair or credit at Kilotech's discretion. The buyer shall, at Kilotech's discretion, return any alleged defective product to Kilotech at their own expense. This warranty extends to the buyer only. This warranty is exclusive and is in lieu of any other warranty, expressed or implied, including, but not limited to, any implied warranty or merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. Kilotech shall not be liable, under any circumstances, for consequential or incidental damages, including but not limited to, labour costs or loss of profits arising in connection with the use of or inability to use products purchased from Kilotech.
a. Any missing scales in a shipment must be reported to Kilotech within 5 business days of receipt.
b. The Kilotech Warranty is a repair warranty. Kilotech does not supply LOANERS during down time.
c. Original proof of purchase should be included with the scale to be repaired and may be required in order to verify warranty validity.
d. The Kilotech Warranty is a repair warranty. Kilotech does not supply LOANERS during down time.
e. All Kilotech scales are powered by an external adapter. The adapter MUST be returned with the scale to be repaired.
f. Scales returned to Kilotech must be clean and properly packaged to protect the scale during shipping. All components including adapters must be included.
g. All products shipped (returned) to Kilotech must have an RMA (Return Authorization number) prior to being shipped. This number should be posted on the shipping box. Proof of purchase and a detailed description of the problem(s) MUST also be included.
What are the shipping policies for repairs?
i. A Kilotech error: in this case Kilotech will assume the cost of freight for the exchange (from – to).
ii. A regular product under warranty: in this case Kilotech will only assume the cost of freight for returning the product to its destination (to).
NOTE: When Kilotech accepts the responsibility for the freight cost from the Dealer end user, a CALL TAG will be arranged with UPS by Kilotech. If Kilotech is not paying the freight costs to return the product to Kilotech, the customer is responsible for making their own freight arrangements.
Can the scales be washed down?
Only scales that are specified as wash-down can be hosed down (not immersed in water). For other scales, the general care instructions are to use a damp cloth with a mild detergent.
How often should test weights be checked?
- The most up to date Terms and Conditions can be found on our website using your Dealer Login which supersedes any information listed here in the event of a discrepancy
- The information contained in this publication is intended for general information purposes only. This publication is not a substitute for review of the applicable government regulations and standards, and should not be construed as legal advice or opinion. Readers with specific questions should refer to the cited regulation of their state and/or country or consult with the appropriate offices
What is Calibration?
Calibration is the comparison of a measuring equipment or device of unknown accuracy to another measuring equipment or device of known accuracy (traceable to a recognized national standard). It is performed to detect, correlate, report or eliminate, by adjustment, any variation from the required performance limits of the unverified measuring system or device.
What is maximum Capacity?
It is the maximum load that can be measured on the device.
What is Readability?
It is the smallest division at which the scale can be read. It also may be referred to as graduation or increments.
2.24 lb = 1 kg = 1000 g
0.1 kg = 100 g = 1/10 kg
0.01 kg = 10 g = 1/100 kg
0.001 kg = 1 g = 1/1000 kg
0.1 g = 1/10 g
0.01 g = 1/100 g
0.001 g = 1/1000 g
What is Tare?
Tare is the weight of the packaging or container in which goods are packed. In the scale industry, it is the act of removing a known weight of an object, usually the weighing container, in order to zero the scale. In doing so, the final reading on the scale will be of the material to be weighed and will not reflect the weight of the container. Note: Most scales allow tarring to 100% of capacity.
When is a Legal for Trade scale necessary?
It is a Government requirement that the scale be legal for trade when the scale is used to determine pricing in a transaction between the trader and the customer.
What is LCD, LED?
LCD Liquid Crystal Diode Display (Numbers are usually black. For darker environments backlight is recommended.)
LED Light-Emitting Diode It is a semiconductor that gives out light (usually red or green), when an electric current is applied to it.
VFD Vacuum Fluorescent Display Emits a very bright light with high contrast and can support display elements of various colors.
Touch Screen Display A display screen on which the user selects options (as from a menu) by touching the screen.
What is Wash-down?
We refer to Wash-down as a water-resistant device. It does not mean that the scale is waterproof.